Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The LDS Missionary (Original Version)

As I stated in my last post, this post will contain the original version of my poem "The LDS Missionary" and I would love any feedback that my readers might have about this poem, I just ask that you also read the "Extended Edition" of this poem as well before making any comments.

ENJOY!

Amanda




The LDS Missionary (Original Version)
--Amanda Best

Once called to be a missionary;
      Once called to serve the Lord.
Once called to a place unknown;
      Once called to preach his word.

You went out with a brand new suit;
      Scriptures, shirts, ties, and shoes.
Everything carefully labeled;
      So no one forgot whose was whose.

And just like when you were in Seminary;
      You arose early every day.
Then before you went to bed each night;
      You knelt beside your bed to pray.

As the days turned into weeks;
      You brought hope to those in need.
And showed care and concern;
      With each and every single good deed.

On P-days you’d write home;
      Asking for pictures and perhaps a letter;
But if someone possibly could;
      A care package was even better.

As the weeks turned into months;
      You continued to press on.
A valiant soldier in “God’s Army;”
      Brave, faithful, true, and strong.

Soon without you realizing it;
      One full year had come to pass.
And you heard what other had said;
      That year number two goes by way too fast.

As time continued to go by;
      You’d cherished each moment you had.
Filling each day with joy and service;
      You’d shun all things evil and bad.

Before you even knew it;
      Your final days drew near.
Not wanting to leave this place;
      For a place that’s a world away from here.

Your last night you got no sleep;
      All you did was toss and turn.
Giving up and staring at the ceiling;
      Thinking about life when you return.

Once a boy of nineteen;
      Now a man of twenty-one.
You’re sad that it’s all over;
      You’re sad this day has come.

You’ve come to love the people;
      And the local culture too.
You never thought that leaving;
      Would be the hardest thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and offer any feedback that you might have n how I can improve my writing and my technique. The only thing I ask from you is that you please keep your feedback and comments positive. Constructive criticism is welcome and is something that I would really like to have. I really want to know what you think of my work, but if you cannot be positive or constructive, please do not make any comments. I really don't want to have to delete comments.