Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Life and Teachings of Elder Robert Dean Hales



The Biography of Elder Robert Dean Hales
            The first thing that really stuck out to me about Elder Hales was the advice he was given by his coach. I think warming up for any kind of activity is important. We have an opening hymn and prayer in our church meetings to help invite the spirit into the meetings. In a way, this could be considered a type of warmup since it allows us to be more open and receptive to the spirit as we are taught by others. It also allows us to better understand the things we are being taught and allows us to be taught by the spirit in how we can apply what we learn into our daily lives. The second thing that really stuck out to me was that he received a degree in communications. As it stands, I am currently pursuing a degree in communications with an emphasis in news and journalism, as well as a minor in English. My goal is to one day write and edit articles for Church Magazines. The third thing that really stuck out to me was that Elder Hales went to the University of Utah, while his wife went to Brigham Young University. The reason this really stuck out to me is because my best friend, Richard goes to Utah State University and roots for the Aggies, while I go to Brigham Young University-Idaho, but I root for the University of Utah Utes. Richard and I are as different as can be, and yet we have so many things in common. There have been times when I have told myself that things could never possibly work out between me and him because of our love of two rival teams, but knowing that Elder Hales went to U of U and his wife went to BYU, proves that it doesn’t matter what team you root for, so long as you both love each other and make the Gospel a part of your lives. In all of my conversations with my best friend, Richard, every time I ask him for advice, he always manages make the Gospel the center of his advice. This is something I want in the man that I someday marry.

The Testimony of Elder Robert Dean Hales
            The one thing that stuck out to me the most about Elder Hales testimony is that the title of his testimony is so perfect for what he bore his testimony on. Sometimes for me, obedience can be very hard since I am a very strong willed and persistent individual, something that a lot of people don’t understand, or refuse to understand about me. There was a time in my life where I let people walk all over me, and when I couldn’t take it anymore, I began to be something no one expected me to ever become. In the words of one of my best friends from high school, I have become a force to be reckoned with because when people try to walk all over me, things backfire and they never know what happened. And yet, as I write this, the words of the hymn, “Lead, Kindly Light” come to mind, particularly the second verse. “I was not ever thus, nor prayed that Thou Shouldst lead me on. I loved to choose and see my path; but now, Lead Thou me on! I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears, Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years.” This is one of my favorite hymns because it described me almost perfectly. Being that I am so strong willed, I tend to be very intimidating for some people because I am so determined to see things through to the very end. I am unable to let things rest until I find out the root cause for such things to have happened. This can lead to more problems because I am always being told to let things go because I can’t change the past. It is at times like these, that I reply by stating that I may not be able to change the past, but I can change how this one incident will influence future events.

Recent Teachings

Elder Robert Dean Hales, “If Ye Love Me, Keep My Commandments”, April 2014 General Conference, Saturday Afternoon Session
Key Doctrine and Principles:
·         Agency
·         Different Types of Obedience
o    “Natural Man’s Obedience”
o    “Selective Obedience”
o    “The Savior’s Obedience”
Favorite Quotes and Why They Matter to Me:
·         Using our agency to obey means choosing to ‘do what is right [and letting] the consequence follow.’ It requires self-mastery and brings confidence, eternal happiness, and a sense of fulfillment to us and, by example, to those around us; and it always includes a deep personal commitment to sustain priesthood leaders and follow their teachings and counsel.”
o    I loved this quote about agency because I recently have been on a huge agency kick. Having my agency to choose means a great deal to me. When others try to blame me for their actions, misdeeds, feelings, and choices, I know that I am not the one at fault. I am only responsible for my own actions, choices, feelings and misdeeds. If I say something that someone chooses to take offensively, if they tell me I have said something which was offensive to them, of course I will apologize, but if they never tell me I have said something which was offensive to them, I cannot apologize because I won’t know if I have said something which was offensive to them. I have been told there is a fine line between being blunt and being offensive, but in reality there is no line at all because being blunt is choice made by one person who is speaking and choosing to be offended by the words of others is a choice made by the person who is listening to the words spoken by others.
·         “To rationalize disobedience does not change spiritual law or its consequences but leads to confusion, instability, wandering in strange paths, being lost, and grief. As disciples of Christ, we have a sacred obligation to uphold His laws and commandments and the covenants which we take upon ourselves.”
o    I loved this quote because it states what our “sacred obligation” is, and that to rationalize our disobedience has many different consequences, some of which can have eternal ramifications.

Past Teachings

Elder Robert Dean Hales, Agency: Essential to the Plan of Life, Ensign and General Conference (through the LDS Gospel Library App), November 2010 (General Conference October 2010, Saturday Afternoon Session)
Key Doctrine and Principles:
·         Agency
·         Choices
·         Plan of Salvation
·         Repentance
Favorite Quotes and Why They Matter to Me:
·         “Of the 10 definitions and usages of the word agency, none expressed the idea of making choices to act. We teach that agency is the ability and privilege God gives us to choose and ‘to act for [ourselves] and not to be acted upon.’ Agency is to act with accountability and responsibility for our actions. Our agency is essential to the plan of salvation. With it we are ‘free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil.’
o    I loved this quote because of the fact that Elder Hales states that out of all the definitions of agency in the dictionary, none of the had anything to do with choices. Being that I am a communications major, this quote really means a lot to me. I have always known that if you take any individual word in a piece of written work for its written worth alone, disregarding all of the words surrounding it, you end up with what the word means if it were to stand alone. However, when you consider all of the words surrounding a word, a meaning which was once may have been negative can become positive, and vice versa. For example, the word “shocked” tends to have a negative connotation, but if you were to place the word “pleasantly” in front of the word “shocked” it changes the entire meaning of the word. Oh the power of words, the power with which we give them. The saying “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me” couldn’t be farther from the truth. In the words of my best friend, Richard in an email he sent me almost two years ago, he stated he following, “Sticks and stones break bones, but words...words are what made the world.  They hold the power to destroy, to tear out a man's life, his will, his love.” Richard could possibly have stated it any better of how great the power of words are. They have power to destroy as well as the power to create. They have the power to tear down and the power to build up. However, just as the dictionary didn’t mention agency as being that of the ability to make choices, words are still very limited in their power. It is through our agency that they derive their greatest power. If the negative words of another person are to hurt us, we first have to choose to let them hurt us. If we choose to let them roll off our back as water rolls off a duck, then they are just that, they are just words and nothing more.
·         “Our agency—our ability to choose and act for ourselves—was an essential element of this plan. Without agency we would be unable to make right choices and progress. Yet with agency we could make wrong choices, commit sin, and lose the opportunity to be with Heavenly Father again. For this reason a Savior would be provided to suffer for our sins and redeem us if we would repent. By His infinite Atonement, He brought about ‘the plan of mercy, to appease the demands of justice.’
o    I loved this quote because of how plainly it states that our agency is essential to the plan of salvation. Without our agency, the plan of salvation wouldn’t exist. Without the plan of salvation, we wouldn’t exist.
                                               

Elder Robert Dean Hales, Christian Courage: The Price of Discipleship, Ensign and General Conference (through the LDS Gospel Library App), November 2008 (General Conference October 2008, Sunday Morning Session)
Key Doctrine and Principles:
·         Adversity
·         Courage
·         Discipleship
Favorite Quotes and Why They Matter to Me:
·         True disciples of Christ see opportunity in the midst of opposition.
o    I loved this quote because it reminds me a lot of myself in terms of my friendship with my best friend, Richard. Both of us have, at times, been the only person to support one another in our friendship. Our other friends have been so concerned about the possible ramifications of what our friendship could do to one another that they haven’t been able to see the good that both of us have allow the other to create within the other. In the midst of all of this opposition, he and I have been able to see the opportunities to bless the life of the other, to help one another stay on the strait and narrow path and work on remaining faithful to the end.
·         True disciples seek guidance from the Spirit, they receive inspiration tailored to each encounter.
o    I loved this quote because I turn to Richard a great deal when I need advice. He in turn always finds a way to bring the Gospel and its teachings into the conversation and allows his advice to be guided by what the Spirit is telling him to say to me. Although he has no stewardship over me, he still is able to give me the same advice as those who do, but he always presents it in a way that allows me to chance to accept or reject it. In every encounter, I have always accepted his advice, because he presents it in a way that makes everything finally make sense.
·         True disciples respond in ways that invite the Spirit of the Lord.
o    I loved this quote because it again reminds me of Richard. One of the many things he and I do together is study our scriptures and write to each other about what we have learned. Sometimes I send him copies of my write-ups, sometimes I send him my favorite scriptures, or links to my favorite conference talks and why they mean so much to me. Being able to share my testimony with Richard has helped me to gain a confidence that will go with me throughout my life, and will help me to be ready to help others when the need arises.
·         As true disciples, our primary concern must be others’ welfare, not personal vindication.
o    This quote couldn’t possibly more perfectly describe Richard. The simple fact that he is so concerned about the welfare of others is what really drew me to Richard when I first met him. In the two short years that I have known him, I have seen my life go from where it was to where it is now, and from that I am able to see all of the important decisions I had to make to get me where I am now. In all of those decisions, Richard played a key role in them.
·         True disciples avoid being unduly judgmental of others’ views.
o    So this quote has so much meaning in it for me. Again, Richard is behind all of the meaning. Richard and I are so different from one another that it is amazing that we could even possibly be friends. Yet we are so alike that it would be equally shocking if we were not. Richard and I differ in political affiliation, but agree in our application of Gospel Principles. I have found that our differing views are in fact hat makes our friendship so strong. It is our differing views that allow both of us the opportunities we need to avoid being judgmental of the views of others.
·         Sometimes true disciples must show Christian courage by saying nothing at all.
o    In my friendship with Richard, there have been times when I have just called to talk to him, and despite wanting to give me advice about my problems or my situation, he remains silent. In doing this, he has allowed me to formulate solutions to my problems or ways to better my situation on my own. Sometimes just knowing he is there to help me through things is all the help I need. In all of this, Richard reminds me of our Savior. Both of them are there for me when I need them, and both of them care enough about me to allow me to sometimes find a solution to my problems all on my own. In saying nothing, they have allowed me to grow exponentially as an individual because they give me the opportunity to grow on me own.
                                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and offer any feedback that you might have n how I can improve my writing and my technique. The only thing I ask from you is that you please keep your feedback and comments positive. Constructive criticism is welcome and is something that I would really like to have. I really want to know what you think of my work, but if you cannot be positive or constructive, please do not make any comments. I really don't want to have to delete comments.